Finally, we have definite release date for the next version. Oxwall 1.7 will be out on July 8, with developer beta available today.
As you know, we first planned to have 1.6.1 release with a lot of improvements and fixes. However, a few distinct platform changes creeped in, so this release is shaping up more important than just a new build, and we call it minor version advance, namely Oxwall 1.7.
Attention, developers, designers, and admins! Apart from some updated plugins, there are platform changes that require your attention:
- New option to assign specific user roles for each account type;
- New option to assign separate list of profile questions for each account type;
- Modified user permission check (developers, you need to adapt your plugins!);
- Attachments for all media (messages, forums, comments, etc) are redesigned (designers, you may need to adapt your themes!);
- Comment box redesigned (designers, you may need to adapt your themes!);
For all changes see complete changelog.
Apart from that there are two major advancements to highlight:
Complete photo redesign
We’ve been working on the new photo plugin for the last 6 months. Hopefully, it works better than the current one, so your community enjoys easier and more effective photo sharing facilities:
Among the most notable features are:
- New advanced bulk photo upload;
- New photo list view;
- New photo album view;
- Optimized photo preview (info and comments in sidebar);
- Search by keywords, users, hashtags;
- Full-screen slideshow;
- Photos posted to newsfeed are now collected in a photo album.
There are a lot of hidden gems in this one, so we’ll leave them for you to discover when Oxwall 1.7 gets released to the public.
Mailbox + Chat = Messages: complete redesign + mobile version support
The new Messages plugin comes to replace the two old plugins: Instant Messenger and Mailbox. When you install the new plugin, it will migrate the data from the Mailbox and deactivate it automatically.
What’s in it?
- Chat only mode, mail only mode, or both;
- Additional on-page interface for chat with saved history;
- Now possible to send a message from mailbox to any recipient;
- Revamped attachments for both chat and mail;
- Inline images and video in chat;
- Chat and mail is now also in Oxwall mobile browser version.
We hope you will appreciate the interconnectedness and easiness of the new way of sending messages in Oxwall.
This plugin is deeper than a few screenshots could show, so we invite you to explore its capabilities.
It’s available for download now. If you signed up for beta testing, you will be able to obtain it from the private beta release forum. Check it out.
If you are a developer or a designer but haven’t signed up for it yet, you are recommended to do that right away. There’s a high chance that you need to update your work to make it compatible with Oxwall 1.7. Developer’s guide to the platform changes is packed with the beta.
We are eager to send the new bulk of awesomeness your way. July 8 is the day it hits the ground, together with the updated versions of plugins by 3rd party developers.
All hail Oxwall!
Emil & the Oxwall team